Lindley Clock Tower is one of the best known landmarks around Huddersfield. The Grade II Listed Building stands 83 feet tall at the junction of Acre Street, Plover Road, Lidget Street, Daisy Lea Lane and Occupation Road.
The tower was commissioned in 1901 by Jas (James) Nield Sykes and designed by Middleton born architect Edgar Wood. Edgar's uncle, John Sykes, was a founder of the firm that later became Joseph Sykes Brothers, Acre Mills at Lindley. Several other examples of Edgar's work can be seen around Huddersfield, including Briar Court (1894) on Occupation Road, and Clery House (1898) in Almondbury. Miss Mary Alice Sykes put the tower into operation on Christmas Eve 1902. Local folklore says that the clock tower was built as a way of reminding local mill workers that they would no longer have an excuse for being late for work in the morning.
The tower is built from local stone and features walls more than 2 feet thick. It has a simple square plan with diagonal corner buttresses and a copper pagoda roof. A semicircular tower, on one side, houses 69 spiral stairs leading to a balcony level, located directly below the belfry.
The tower isn?t short on detail either. An inscription, carved into the stone above the wooden door, reads "This tower was erected by James Nield Sykes, J.P. of Field Head Lindley, for the benefit of his native village in 1902?. Surrounding this message are sculptures of Time, Youth, Old Age and Eternity. Further up the tower, the four seasons are depicted on the frieze. To the East: "The Spring", symbolised by a blossoming almond; South: "Summer", symbolised by a rose; West: "Autumn", symbolised by an apple; and on the North Frieze: "Winter", symbolised by holly. Towards the top of the four buttresses are figures representing the Eternal Vitrues: "Truth" (East), "Love" (South), "Purity" (West) and "Justice" (North). Above each of these figures lies a gargoyle, described as 'The Beasts Fleeing from the Towers of Time'. The gargoyles are the Lazy Dog, the Vicious Dog, the Cunning Dog and the Greedy Dog.
The clock tower would not be complete without a face. A 6.5 foot clock faces sit proudly on each side of the tower. Each face is illuminated at night, and is figured with roman numerals and simple hands. The clock chimes every quarter of an hour - denoting the time to those who are not able to see the dials.